Integrating your ERP, particularly MYOB Advanced or Exo with your other retail operations applications is easily achievable and offers numerous benefits. Yet, for businesses who haven’t had the experience of doing so, the idea of integrating software can seem overwhelming and highly technical, so they continue to do things the way they’ve always done them.
This post demystifies the process by outlining the benefits of integrating your MYOB ERP with other retail software systems, what types of applications you can integrate, and how to do so.
Why should we integrate our ERP with the retail software we use?
Cloud-based ERPs like MYOB Advanced hold much of your critical business data and can handle a plethora of tasks – financial management, inventory and distribution, field service operations, customer management, project accounting and payroll. Nevertheless, you’ll also appreciate that retail businesses often need retail-specific software applications and processes that sit outside the ERP. Some of these will be purpose-built retail apps and addons for the ERP, while others will be stand-alone.
As your retail business grows and adds locations and new sales channels like e-commerce or third-party sellers, your technology stack becomes more complex. This means that you may be operating several disparate systems dependent on each other for up-to-date data via manual transfers. While this set-up can work for short periods, you may miss growth opportunities because of time-consuming processes, data inaccuracies, and poor business insight.
Integrating a MYOB ERP with other business-critical software applications will help your retail business grow and operate more efficiently by:
- Ensuring data accuracy and integrity by removing manual data entry and uploads between systems, thereby reducing the number of times data is ‘handled’.
- Speeding up work processes by providing a constant flow of accurate, real-time data to let workers get on with the job.
- Providing insights about process inefficiencies between business functions.
- Unifying your system which improves workflows and collaboration between teams.
- Connecting data sources to make reporting quicker, easier and more accurate. This ‘single source of truth’ eliminates time-consuming tasks like reconciling data between systems, matching up reports and combining figures.
- Facilitating better, faster decision-making and forecasting with accurate information about purchasing patterns, product trends, shipping timeframes, distribution channels and product returns.
- Improving staff engagement by making routine tasks easier so they can focus on what they do best.
- Improving customer satisfaction by bringing your back and front offices together. You can connect your e-commerce system with your ERP and CRM for speedy purchases and empower staff to search for stock in-store or make transfers, so they never miss a sale.
What retail software systems can I integrate with a MYOB ERP?
It’s possible to integrate almost any retail software with MYOB Advanced and MYOB Exo ERPs as long as the third-party system allows it.
The types of software that Exobiz has integrated with MYOB ERPs include:
- Point of Sale (POS) systems, e.g., VEND POS and SwiftPOS
- E-commerce platforms, e.g., Magento2, Neto, WooCommerce, Shopify, Web Ninja
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM) systems, e.g., Opmetrix, Microsoft Dynamics, Salesforce
- Electronic Data Interchange (EDI) systems and supply chain software for large retailers, e.g., Super Retail Group, Pet Barn, Pet Stock, Amazon, SAAVI, OPSI, Crunchtime, PharmX, Reese, Tradelink, Bunzl, Triton
- Freight and shipping software, e.g., Startrack, Starship and EFM
- Warehousing and inventory management (if MYOB is not appropriate)
- Workforce management software, e.g., Tanda, Workday*
While it isn’t a standard function for MYOB Exo or Advanced, it is possible to integrate with a ‘buy now, pay later’ platform like Afterpay or Humm using our BeyondSync product.
*In July 2021, MYOB will launch a complete workforce management software addon that includes rostering, time-keeping and modern award interpretation.
Before you undertake an integration project, we recommend evaluating your current technology set-up and business processes to understand why integration is necessary.
You can do this by:
- Looking at your technology stack to determine which systems need to integrate with your ERP. Involve your staff in determining which are the most important sources of data that need to be synchronised.
- Think about whether you are happy with the software systems you use. Are there functions that MYOB offers that you could use? For example, you may not be satisfied with your POS and might like to look at the EBS Point of Sale system, or you consider MYOB's upcoming workforce management software for time-keeping, on-boarding and rostering.
- What do you want to get out of the integration? It’s helpful to set concrete targets for sales, customer satisfaction, or processing times so that you can measure the ROI from the integration project.
How can MYOB ERPs be integrated with other retail software systems?
If you don’t have an experienced IT department, it is worth engaging a MYOB provider who specialises in integrations. They’ll understand what MYOB needs from different software types to integrate, what tools to use, and which data fields to map between systems.
API integrations using BeyondSync
When an API is available to integrate systems, we will use our BeyondSync tool. BeyondSync was explicitly built for MYOB to act as a “gatekeeper” for the integration by interpreting and validating the data from both sides, converting it to a new format if necessary, and reporting any errors to keep your data clean. It provides a more reliable interface for data synchronisation than allowing the two systems to talk independently and protects third-party eCommerce apps from failing.
Occasionally, APIs aren’t available between third-party software and MYOB Advanced, for example, some POS systems. In this case, we will create an Import Scenario to bring the information into MYOB Advanced via a CSV file. For added efficiency, we can schedule this import.
Retail software and MYOB integration success stories from Exobiz
We’ve been part of many integration projects that have completely transformed how retail businesses operate for the better.
BBK Plumbing is a privately-owned family company on the Gold Coast that sells a range of comprehensive plumbing products. When they engaged us, they had moved from manual processes to MYOB AR and an industry-specific stock management program (JobCost). However, siloed accounting, sales, and stock management systems requiring time-consuming and error-prone data entry hindered their growth.
By upgrading to MYOB Exo, BBK could use EBS POS in place of a manual order system and integrate their stock management into MYOB. Chrissy Tansey from BBK said: “This implementation has basically changed our lives with the efficiency we have been able to achieve through EBS POS and the integration of our stock management. Having custom reports created has been cost-effective and has given us a more than significant return on our investment.”
Pacific Optics, providers of retail merchandise such as sunglasses, used a combination of manual and outdated digital systems. The business’s two warehouses were disconnected, customers were issued (often incorrect) printed invoices, and field sales reps used manual logbooks to track customer transactions.
Switching to MYOB Advanced and integrating it with their new sales platform, Opmetrix, helped them connect all aspects of their business and gain complete control, real-time insights and consistent delivery of outstanding customer service. James Hadfield, IT and Continuous Improvement Manager, said: “The month we went live was a month we excelled. We did more transactional volume than the month before, and we didn't lose a single invoice or credit, and pricing was all correct, which is brilliant.”
Exobiz can help you create a seamless retail operations system
Almost every growing retail business needs to use third-party apps – integrating them seamlessly with an ERP is the key to operating efficiently and profitably. With experts on board like Exobiz and specialist integration tools like BeyondSync, the process is painless. Contact our team today to discuss how we can create the ideal system for your business.